This is the home for everything related to Cherokee II Sailplanes. Email me at abcondon@gmail.com if you have anything to add.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Measured Performance

I'd like this blog to become a repository of all things Cherokee II, so I'll probably be dumping a lot of pictures and stories and things in here in the next few weeks. If you have anything to add, please let me know!

In the fall of 2008 I did some glide testing on 373Y. A 5000 ft. tow and a digital video camera on loan was enough to gather the data. I crunched some numbers and presented it as my senior project for graduation from Iowa State University.


Here is how the L/D vs Speed plot worked out. Best glide speed at my weight (~600 lbs) was 49 mph and ~23:1





























Here is the polar, minimum sink at 42 mph, about 165 fpm.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here is a link to the entire presentation:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers