This is the home for everything related to Cherokee II Sailplanes. Email me at if you have anything to add.

Monday, April 25, 2011

I need more clamps

Tonight I finished up the scarfs on the gusset pieces and made the cross piece that goes between the side frames just in front of the forward spar of the vertical stabilizer.  Then it was a big epoxying party for about 30 minutes.  I made to sure to use the slow curing West System this time since I knew I'd need a little time.  First on were the gusset pieces which went fairly smoothly and I was able to get enough clamps on them to hold them down I think.

Next I put on the cross piece which was no sweat.  Then I had to mix up another batch of epoxy.  Third was the tailwheel support.  It is a nice tight fit so no clamps required.  What a relief to have finally replace the piece that started this saga!  I had some more epoxy left so I closed up the back of the vertical stab with the piece of birch.  I did remember to put some masking tape over the holes for the rudder hinge bolts so that they don't get epoxied shut. I'll have to locate those holes on the outside and drill through the new plywood and then I can reinstall the hinge.

So the "only" thing left in this section is the bottom piece of plywood that covers the entire area and then finishing off the stringer.  So that will be next on the list when I get back to working on 53T.  Might take a few days off to make some progress on that boat though.

I did order electrical system supplies for 3Y today so I look forward to getting that by the end of the week.

Here are some pictures from today:

No comments:

Post a Comment