This is the home for everything related to Cherokee II Sailplanes. Email me at if you have anything to add.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Practice Day, Region 10

Today task for Sports Class was a TAT with turnpoints at Menard (30 miles), Kerrville (30 miles), and Burnet (20 miles).  We started launching about 1 PM and tasks opened at 2.  I started pretty quickly and managed to climb to nearly the max start height of 7000 before leaving the cylinder.

The run towards Menard was epic. I would fly straight in almost any lift as long as I was above 6000 and then if I got lower than that would take a 5 knot thermal back up to over 7 again.  There was a nice tailwind and I was making awesome speed.  I got to the edge of the Menard cylinder in just over 30 minutes, averaging around 60 mph!  There was a decent tailwind component pushing me that way and I just couldn't miss the lift.

Clouds seemed to be pretty honest all day and after a few I was able to work out some theories on which side of the clouds had lift etc. that seemed to hold most of the day.  I pressed into the Menard cylinder about 10 miles before turning more directly into the wind towards Kerrville.  I wanted to minimize the time spent fighting the headwind so I decided I would just nick the Kerrville cylinder and head for Burnet.   That is basically what I did, and in typical fashion got extremely low along the run into the wind.  There seemed to be some sort-of streets running to the southeast but nothing strong enough or organized enough to allow me to stay up high.  I had many trips down to around 4 or 5000 feet before finding a good thermal.  Almost always I was able to find a good one.  Sometimes I would start off in desperation with a 2 or 3 knotter but almost every time I would spot a few birds (Vultures I think), shift towards them, and find a good 5-6 knot core, sometimes stronger, especially up higher.  The highest updraft strength was definitely between 6 and 8000 feet. I had a few that were averaging 7 knots through that range!

After turning Northeast from the Kerrville cylinder I was feeling better about getting better groundspeeds and L/D's but was still pretty low as a result of the upwind run.  I got down to 3000 feet at one point, I think at that time I was around 1500 AGL, but thankfully turned right into a nice strong thermal that got me back up to over 8000.  From that point on I did better at staying higher.  I got down to 4500 a few times but always managed to climb back up and keep on trucking.

South of Llano on my way to the Burnet cylinder I caught a great thermal, right at 5 PM, which took me to my high point of the day, 9000 feet.  At this point I had an hour left for the task and was only a few miles from the edge of the cylinder so I knew I would need to go into it a fair ways.  This is my first time flying this sort of task but I've ready a lot about it and knew that usually the goal is to make it back at minimum time.  I was able to stay around 6 - 7000 feet pretty well on the way into the cylinder and figured I could probably have a pretty steady glide back to Llano for about 20 miles.  As the Cherokee seems to be pretty happy at 60 mph I figured when the miles equaled the minutes I would be ready to turn.  I think I was right around 20 miles east of Llano when I turned.  I was slightly below a comfortable glide home and had to cross Buchanan Lake on the way.  I wasn't particularly worried about that as there didn't seem to be a blue hole over the lake so I figured it wasn't a massive sink hole at least.  I glided across it in smooth air and caught a nice little 3 knot thermal on the west edge of it.  I had managed to gain a little on the time by then and needed another thousand feet or so at least to have a comfortable glide.  Between the lake and Llano there aren't a lot of fields or private runways so I'd rather be high than low.  Not to mention it would be really embarrassing to get that far and land out.  So i took a few turns and gained some altitude.  By then I was 11:1 to make it back so I figured I had it made comfortably and sure enough I ended up coming in over the airport with plenty of altitude to spare.  I think I was 1500 feet above the minimum finish height of 500 AGL. Oh well something to work on tomorrow I guess.

All in all I was very pleased with the flight.  Making it back was awesome and finishing the task right on time was even better.  I entered the finish cylinder about 2 seconds after the timer ran out! 

Here is the OLC trace, last I checked it was good for 1st in the US and 4th in the world.  Helps to fly on a Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment