This is the home for everything related to Cherokee II Sailplanes. Email me at abcondon@gmail.com if you have anything to add.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Update

Been a while so i figured i should document what I've been up to.  Last week was awful hot so I didn't get much done in the garage. We had 5 straight days of 100+.  I did manage a really good flight last Sunday, but not in the Cherokee.  I decided to take the NG-1 out and ended up barely finishing a 300 km FAI triangle!  I've submitted the flight for Diamond Goal as well as 4 Kansas state records.  I was hoping to do all Diamonds in 3Y but after the 6.5 hr flight and just barely making it home I felt I had earned it.  Don't worry I still will have 300 km on the mind when I get 3Y back out of the garage.  Here is the writeup I put on Soaring Cafe: http://soaringcafe.com/2011/06/diamond-goal/

3Y has been in the garage.  I started doing a little practice fiberglass work by making a cap for the rudder.  It turned out alright and is a much more complicated shape than the wing wheel which will be the next project.  I have the fuselage and left wing in the garage now.  I need to get some more felt before I get too deep into that project.  I also have plans to work more on the seat back and I need to get the voltmeter wired up properly so that it works.  I also would like to do some touch up painting in a few spots as well as perhaps getting the "YYY" Contest ID painted on the wing and tail.  But to do that I will have to (finally!) get my air compressor wired up and running.

I did take the opportunity to do a small fabric patch on the left aileron of 3Y.  There has been a hole on the top of the aileron for a little while now, not sure when that wound was inflicted, but a piece of wing tape has been sufficient until now.  With the wing on the stand I figured it was a good time to do it right.  I glued it in last night and brushed on some ekofill tonight.  There is also the patch that we did down by the skid that will need paint when that time comes.

On 3T I have not made a whole lot of progress but have gotten a few things done.  I did get the nicopress tool from Harry and tonight made my first nicopress joint.  I need to make sure i'm doing it right but hopefully control cables will start to go back in the glider this week.  It is supposed to cool off a little (90 instead of 100) for the next few days and the late sunsets are awesome.

I also did a little more Super Fill work on the right wing root, that job is almost done.

Summer soaring plans have gotten firmed up a bit.  I'm going to try to get a few more flights in the NG-1 before the annual Kowbell Klassic free distance contest on July 16.  With its L/D in the low 30's it will be my bird of choice this year I think.  However between now and then I'm planning on going to a cross country camp in Dalhart, TX during the last week of June.  I'll take 3Y there as I'm viewing it as a week of practice for the Region 10 contest in Llano in August where I intend to fly 3Y.  Once Kowbell is over I will probably focus most of my efforts on contest prep, be that ground handling equipment or flying stuff.  I still have a few bugs to work out of my Oudie/Nano setup.  On the flight in the NG-1 the battery on the Oudie didn't last as long as it should've so I need to investigate that.  It was hooked up to the external battery pack which kept powering the Nano for the 6.5 hr flight.

So that is what I have been up to lately, will be sure to post pictures as the cables go back in 3T and the wing wheel comes to life on 3Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers