This is the home for everything related to Cherokee II Sailplanes. Email me at abcondon@gmail.com if you have anything to add.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Rudder Varnish

I applied the Stewart Systems Wood Sealant to the rudder tonight. I've been waiting to do this while I looked around town to find a DuPont M50 Viscosity cup so that I could properly thin the sealant.

I cleaned up the wood areas on the rudder and then brushed on a coat of the sealant. It went on very well. Usually I would have to go back over an area with the brush to get some bubbles out of the finish. I let that layer dry then lightly sanded with a 320 grit foam sanding block. Then I put another coat on the rudder, let it dry and sanded it. Piece o cake!

Next step is to start gluing fabric to the rudder. First I need to calibrate my iron and make sure I have my ducks in a row! Probably ought to get some plastic or something to lay down on the floor too...

I've made a few updates to the Cherokee II Roll Call thread, in the November archive. Both are thanks to a few Australian Cherokee II fliers, Ken Caldwell and James Friess, owners of VH-GLV and VH-GQV, respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers